Thursday, March 12, 2009

(an actual picture of Gene Stratton-Porter's LIMBERLOST)

yesterday a cold hit me fast. I was having a really hard time breathing and so I was sent to bed by my mother with some homeopathic medicine, some peppermint oil and lots of water. I haven't been able to read a book in a long time, so I enjoyed myself immensely! I read all 450 pages of "A Girl of the Limberlost" in one afternoon. I'd never read it before, and I couldn't put it down! I've read several other books by Gene Stratton-Porter, and loved them so much I've read them each 2-3 times. But I think that this one is now my favorite!!

I was so inspired by Elnora's courage to face difficult things, her perseverance, her faithfulness to people even when they hurt her, and her ability to pick herself up when she fell. I love books that make you feel like getting up and doing something marvelous to change the world. This book certainly made me feel that way!!!! When one of my sisters saw my book she said "wow that has a lot of dog-tails!" (i believe she meant dog eared pages :) Here are a few of my most favorite quotes:

"I believe the best way to get an answer to prayer is to work for it"

"Remember this - what you are lies with you. If you are lazy, and accept your lot, you may live in it. If you are willing to work, you can write your name anywhere you choose, among the only ones who live beyond the grave in this world, the people who write books that help, make exquisite music, carve statues, paint pictures and work for others."

"The world is full of happy people, but no one ever hears of them. You must fight and make a scandal to get into the papers. No one knows about all the happy people. I am happy myself, and look how perfectly inconspicuous I am!"

"To me it seems the only pleasure in this world worth having is the joy we derive from living for those we love, and those we help"

2 comments:

  1. That's so great!!! I'm glad that you enjoyed it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. whoop's I said that well I meant dog eared.
    I was wondering why you were just smiling like that.

    Wes

    ReplyDelete