Monday, February 9, 2009

happy valentine's

well, I just did a little reading about how valentine's came to be... what an interesting history (see this page on wikipedia)! One part that struck my funny bone was when they said that in the 19th century handwritten cards were replaced by mass produced ones. Now, that isn't funny, in fact, it's quite sad, but if you have ever seen the movie "Cranford" you will recall the following scene....

the spinster ladies of the town have gathered around the local general store to see the latest rage in England... PRINTED VALENTINE'S!! The lady who is in charge of the town (well, at least she thinks she is :) says, what is the world coming to if our valentines are being PRINTED?! Those printed valentines create quite the stir in the town as I recall... it must just be best to hand write them from now on!

I actually don't have a valentine (by definition - a sweetheart) that I know by name, but I do have one somewhere in the world who I love very much, even though I don't know exactly who he is!! As those of you who followed my last blog know, I haven't ever had a boyfriend, I haven't ever held hands with a boy, and I certainly haven't ever kissed anyone! Life has turned out a lot differently then I ever expected, but it has been so good! This week I'm going to be posting some things for my valentine... my wonderful future husband (though I don't exactly know who he is!!)! I'll also be posting some things that have helped me immensely in learning to wait patiently!

2 comments:

  1. I just can't wait to see what you post. I'm so excited!!!
    Love ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex, that's so cute! I'm excited to see what's to come this week! Valentine's day is my favorite! Good luck and see you soon!:)
    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete