Wednesday, February 25, 2009

a wordy week

the other day I was helping my mom with something and she said "what word would you use to describe that?" to which I responded... "sticktoitive". She didn't think it was a word, but it certainly is!


STICKTOITIVE
tenaciously resolute; persevering


Isn't that the coolest word? I would love to be described as a sticktoitive person...

about a week ago a word accidentally slipped out, and I'm pretty sure that it's not a word, but it SHOULD be..."OWNSOME" I actually googled it and came up with a german word "mutterseelenallein" which translates to be "on one's ownsome" so it must be a sort of word!

I also accidentally said "OWNESS" as well... and well, it's not exactly a word, but another sort of word. But I came up with some interesting history about that word. "
In Latin onus means “burden.” In English it came to mean “responsibility”: “the onus is on the defense attorney to convince the jury of the defendant’s innocence.” It is often used to mean “blame”: “he bears the onus of having lost the key to the vacation house.” People sometimes mishear this word and turn in into "owness." This form is also used by some to refer to the opposite of otherness, but that would be "ownness," with two N's."

AREN'T WORDS JUST SO MUCH FUN? I JUST WONDER WHY WE DON'T
USE SOME OF THESE WONDERFUL WORDS MORE OFTEN!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful words!!!! I can't believe you just "spew" these words out, without even thinking!!! Truly amazing!!!
    Love you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, I love that word!!! I wish more people were stickoitive!

    ReplyDelete