Saturday, February 28, 2009

dancing

I LOVE TO DANCE!

Last semester I had the privilege of taking a ballroom dance class. We learned the fox-trot, waltz, tango, cha-cha, swing, and polka. There is something so wonderful about dancing. When I dance I forget my troubles and when I'm done I have a much lighter heart! One day I was having a terrible day, and I got on someone's blog and some music came on. It just happened to be a song that I had danced to in class, and I couldn't resist dancing! My mom also loves to dance and so I taught her the tango and we had a rousing dance around the house. I happened to come across several of these quotes about dancing awhile ago, and I enjoyed them so much I thought I'd post them for ya all! ENJOY!

...in 1959, a national news magazine described the LDS Church as the "dancingest denomination"

(all quotes are by President Brigham Young)
"I want you to sing and dance and forget your troubles... Let's have some music and all of you dance"

"I want it distinctly understood, that fiddling and dancing are no part of our worship. 'The question may be asked, What are they for, then? I answer, that my body may keep pace with my mind. My mind labors like a man logging, all the time; and this is the reason why I am fond of these pastimes—they give me a privilege to throw everything off, and shake myself, that my body may exercise, and my mind rest."

There is no music in hell, for all good music belongs to heaven. Sweet harmonious sounds give exquisite joy to human beings capable of appreciating music. I delight in hearing harmonious tones made by the human voice, by musical instruments, and by both combined. Every sweet musical sound that can be made belongs to the Saints and is for the Saints. Every flower, shrub and tree to beautify, and to gratify the taste and smell, and every sensation that gives to man joy and felicity are for the Saints who receive them from the Most High.

If you wish to dance, dance; and you are just as much prepared for a prayer meeting after dancing as ever you were, if you are Saints.

1 comment:

  1. It's a good thing! Bro. Monson and I met in ballroom dance at the U of U!!!

    ReplyDelete