Monday, February 9, 2009

my perfect plans

ever since I was little, one of my greatest dreams was to have a family of my own. In fact, when I was about 10 or so, my plan was to have 56 children... one for each letter of the alphabet, both a boy and a girl. when I was in high school, I was totally certain that when I graduated prince charming would show up on my doorstep, sweep me off my feet, and by the time I was 23 or so I would have 2-3 adorable children, a perfect marriage, a charming house, and I would be perfectly content.

If anyone would have told me that I would be 20 7/8 years old, still single and living at home, I most likely wouldn't have believed you... but here I am! Heavenly Father had (and still does have) SO much work that needed to be done on me, and frankly I am not quite sure that I would've been ready to get married at 17.

Throughout the years, I have grown so much in my desire and dreams for my future. In my patriarchal blessing there is a tiny little paragraph about my future family, and I have just poured over it trying to understand every little word. That little paragraph has worked wonders in my life. One little part of it talks about a desiring a companion... that little word has changed my life!!

Over the years I have come to realize that I didn't desire a companion... I just wanted a family and all the fixings... babies, laundry, cooking, etc., but a husband didn't matter that much. But as I have grown older (and hopefully wiser!) I have come to realize that the one thing that I want more than anything (except eternal life) is a companion! I want someone who is my very best friend and I his! As I looked back and wondered why in the world I had such a strange perspective, I came to realize that in all the couples in my life, as great as their marriages were... they weren't necessarily companions and best friends. Through the past 2 years I have met some wonderful ladies whose husbands are their very best friends. One couple in particular is so cute to watch... they so obviously love each other, and I love spending time at their home!

as I look back over the years, I am beyond grateful that Heavenly Father didn't answer my prayers for my perfect plan to come to pass. He has a perfect plan for me, and it is beyond anything I could ever dream up! The past two years have been incredible years for me... and what if God had answered my prayers?? I would have been lacking a huge part of who I have become!!

I am so thankful for a God who answers prayers,
but also sees fit to not answer sometimes!!

5 comments:

  1. oh!! That was so good. I'm so grateful that I have had more time with you and that we have gotten to be such GREAT friends. I'm so glad that you are in my life.
    Love you LOTS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! I always prayed I'd get married by 16 (my grandparents did - that shoulda sent a red-flag there!) but I've never really planned out my life. I've prayed for things but tried to stay away from directing my ways so I'm not unsatisfied with what He has for me, on His time.

    Shalom,
    Miss Jocelyn
    http://aponderingheart.com
    http://feelinfeminine.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what you wrote such insight good for you for seeing that. So many your age just want to put blame on something for not having perfect lives and perfect solutions to everything.

    March we will celerate 16 years of marriage and we are the best of friends we love our children but we would be so incomplete without each other. Our children will grow and move away with hopefully best friends of there own. But it would be awfully lonely after that if we weren't best friends.

    Erika

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alex,
    What would I do with out you? You give me such inspiration to be patient and trust God. No, my testimony of being patient does not rest on yours, but it helps me SOOO much!

    Love your cousin in the east:)

    ps - thanks for changing what ever you did so i could comment:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh alex,
    You have plenty of time for marriage & motherhood...... you are so young! Enjoy this precious time -- this a wonderful time for you to discover to learn to grow...... I was married at 24 and in many ways I feel I was too young.... there is plenty of time...... and when it does happen, you will be all the more prepared.
    Blessigs,
    gloria
    ps. statistics also show early marriages between very young people have a much higher divorce rate. So count yourself blessed!

    ReplyDelete