Wednesday, December 31, 2008

darn those socks!

A couple of years ago we discovered the best store in the world... a yarn store that was about 2 blocks away from our house! We were thrilled as there aren't many stores that close! This store had the neatest employees. An older lady (with very colorful language!), and one in her 40's. We actually didn't know how to knit, but we soon discovered a lady who would teach us for free. She only taught us 2 lessons (we joined up with my cousins for these lessons, she taught about 10 girls at the same time!), but that was enough to set me on fire!

I decided to take a class at the local yarn store to learn how to knit... (drumroll please :)...

TWO SOCKS AT THE SAME TIME!!

This was one of the funnest classes I had ever taken! There was only one other lady in the class, a petite lady who was totally blind except for one little spot. Imagine... a blind lady, an older lady with extremely colorful language, and a 18 yr old girl with huge feet! It was quite the class to say the least.

I had so much fun learning to knit socks! I knit them on two sets of circular needles, with two balls of yarn. It's sort of hard to keep track of all that, but when you get done, you have two socks!

I have worn these socks so many times... they are so warm and soft (even though they are made
of wool). But I developed a problem... HOLES!!

My amazing grandma who had an equally amazing Swedish immigrant grandmother told me how to darn socks. I got a sock darner from lehmans.com for about $5. BUT one of my worst faults is procrastination! So I kept procrastinating until I couldn't any longer!

So I gathered the supplies (a large needle, a ball of extra yarn, and my lovely sock darner)

My grandma told me that all I had to do was just go back and forth, so that's what I did!


It was pretty easy and I was so excited to have my favorite socks back! I know it's not the most attractive darning job, but at least my feet won't get cold at night!!

No comments:

Post a Comment